Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Out of the Woods


This post isn't about my outfit, how excited I am about the lovely Spring weather or any other typical topic of blog conversation. It's something totally different, a horse of a different color if you will. It's about feelings and a blessed transformation...

If you follow us on IG, you may have seen that almost two weeks ago, I was bitten in the face by a dog. No, not bitten because that word seems too casual...after all, you can also be bitten by a fly. Instead of searching for the perfect adjective, I can sum up the whole experience by admitting it was truly one of (or maybe the most) traumatic event in my life. Anyone who knows me is well aware of my strong feelings for dogs - In fact, my husband will tell you I like them more than most people which isn't too far off base. So, as with most dogs, I treated this one like one of my own...so quick to lean in and kiss him on the head without any consideration that this interaction might not be reciprocated. The actual moment was so utterly shocking and jarring that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forget that sound, feeling or surroundings that made up that second in time. Many members of my Family were there and enclosed around me with horror in their eyes, all of us quickly realizing that we would be skipping dinner that was so beautifully prepared and instead, heading to the hospital for what would turn into the longest 6 hours of waiting and hoping for the best.

Post anesthesia (which was the absolute WORST pain you can imagine) and many stitches, I was sent home exhausted and extremely dejected. I was also in quite a bit of pain which made it easy to keep replaying the scene in my mind. And despite everyone's kind words, I was so sure this had not only changed my appearance forever, but worse, my spirit which almost always favors the bright side. The few days that followed were not much better...I had never felt so sad and empty before which sounds very dark but it's true... with the stitches and remaining marks splashed across my face, it was hard to see a light at the end. On the other hand, I have never felt so much love and kindness from those closest to me...my house was an endless stream of visitors, all of whom showered me with flowers, cards, cookies, funny stories and a reminder that all of this was temporary, something I desperately needed to hear. My husband always takes good care of me but with this one, he was exceptional, just listening to me cry and telling me with sincerity I was just as beautiful, making him the luckiest man in the world. If there's a silver lining of this experience, it seems to have brought us closer...it's very easy to enjoy all the wonderful moments together but it's situations like these that truly define a relationship. 

While it was hard to see, I was making progress all along...after the stitches came out, I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders because I finally understood what everyone was trying to tell me. With a little bit of patience and time, I could make the transition back to myself. I started to see the light return to my eyes and smile on my face. I could see that the wounds were healing and would continue to fade. I realized that whatever was broken, could most likely be fixed, making me very lucky because I know how much worse this outcome could have been. Every Dr. I saw acknowledged how hard this must be for me but also pointed out the bigger picture which was, I will come out of this just fine. 


Now that it's just about 2 weeks since that night, I feel so happy with how far I have come and to be out of the woods. It's truly amazing how the body can mend itself, healing from the inside out without you even realizing the changes being made. You don't appreciate how hard it works until your body is put through a trauma...I am in awe of our internal system and thankful to be here, finding my way back to my old self. I still have a few minor areas that may need attention in the future and a scar or two that will be remain a part of my face, but it's nothing that can't be masked, should I choose to. At this point, it's a part of me and that's nothing to be ashamed of.






I've often pictured a scenario in my mind, one far off in the future, where my husband and I are settled on a large piece of land and we spend our time rescuing as many dogs as we can, giving them the love and life they truly deserve. While I'm happy to say this dream hasn't died as a result of this experience, I should also be honest and admit that something has shifted in me. I will definitely approach dogs and animals differently from now on, leading with my hand, not my heart -- until I have confirmation they're into me, that is... then I go in for the kiss ;) In addition, I find myself being a little more appreciative of the everyday things we take for granted...it sounds cliche but I won't apologize for that because it really is true.



Thanks for stopping by, reading my story and supporting me through a tough time. Sometimes it feels better to share something like this...Have you ever gone through something similar? 

How did you handle it? Please do share in the comments, I'd love to hear your experience!


Wearing:

Jacket: J. Crew
Tunic: Forever 21 (I'm also in love with this jumpsuit!)
Skirt: Forever 21 (on sale!)
Shoes: Target (old but similar here)
Bag: Just Fab (similar from JCP, so cute for Spring!)
Necklace: Forever 21
Sunnies: LOFT 
Hat; Target
Lipstick: Glominerals "Crush"

No comments:

Post a Comment